Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Moderately Unbiased


I didn’t care much about politics when I was younger.

I saw and heard about it on the news but I knew nothing of it. I don’t recall my parents telling me much about politics, and what little they did discuss with me was often infused with disappointment and frustration. Having recently finished my school’s political science course on US Government, I started to understand why my parents feel that way. And why it’s so crucial that that attitude changes.

As I learned in class, my parents’ sentiment is shared by a majority of Americans. And having taken that course? Throw me in the mix! It is kind of a mess. But it is critical that we citizens understand how our political system works so that we are not disillusioned by it. We need to educate ourselves so that we can participate in the political process to create the change we want to see. We are responsible for our actions, and if we want progress and change, then we should equip ourselves with the means to make it happen.

Taking that US government course showed me something else, too, something huge: there are so many unknown ideas we can implement to improve the entire structure of American politics. In fact, many of the problems we face in politics and around the world have simple, unique solutions. More good news? The solutions are already out there.

I’m starting this blog to spread ideas—mostly those I’ve accumulated from others, but some of my own as well. There is an infinite number of ideas floating around, yet so frequently they are overlooked because we don’t want to believe that anything can be better than how we’ve come to know it. We need to be able to give these ideas, methods, systems, and styles our fairest consideration and put aside all the prejudices and preconceptions in our mind that come with changing the status quo.

We need to be, at the very least, moderately unbiased.

2 comments: